Rainbow Price: $52.95
Homeschool teachers will go to great lengths to help their students overcome difficulties. Take Beverly Adams-Gordon, for example. An engineer and Montessori teacher, she left her teaching job to homeschool in an effort to solve her youngest daughters severe spelling problems. Finding no suitable material, she thoroughly researched the subject and developed her own spelling curriculum. So whats different?
- Its all in one book. One purchase for all years for all kids.
- A chapter on research details the most effective methods of spelling instruction.
- Complete instructions for introducing, implementing and evaluating the program. Directions are given for adapting to different learning styles and ages.
- The program takes only 15 minutes/day.
- Extensive Word Lists are based on research done after 1979 of most frequently used and misspelled words. Word lists used in most other programs are based on lists created in 1915 or 1947. Two lists are provided, with 5,000 and 12,000 words, respectively.
- General and specific placement tests start each student right where he needs to be.
- Program is based on phonics and spelling rules, not phonics alone.
- Review is built into the program which uses a spiral approach (repeated and spaced review) similar to the approach Saxon takes in its problem sets.
- Directions for over 100 games and activities are included which concentrate on specific skills and make spelling more interesting. Most are individual or partner games, but some can be played by up to 6 players.
Now available in its 4th edition, Spelling Power retains all of its award-winning effective procedures, but its more user-friendly with larger type and more graphics. Easier to read and less intimidating, there is also improved organization of resources.
The book comes in a standard-bound version but is now also available in a loose-leaf edition, which has identical pages but is 3-hole punched and ready to slip into a 2 binder.
The 4th edition Spelling Power package includes both the Teachers Resource CD-ROM, first introduced in the 10th anniversary edition, and an updated Quick Start DVD seminar.
The Quick Start DVD provides a personal step-by-step introduction to using the Spelling Power program featuring author Beverly Adams-Gordon who explains each step as "real" homeschool moms and students demonstrate. The Teachers Resource CD-ROM includes printable forms, searchable word lists, charts, printable Activity Task Cards, bonus activities, and the Digital Spelling Tutor.
The Digital Spelling Tutor CD-ROM is also available separately, and it allows you to create spelling lists for multiple children, offers learning, drill and testing activities, tracks several childrens progress, allows you to create and print progress reports, and can be used with any spelling word list. Please note that this program is included in the Teachers Resource CD-ROM that is included in the 4th edition, but we sell the program separately if you wish to use with an older edition of Spelling Power.
The most thorough coverage of spelling that weve seen. This ones a classic.